Expat work visa

Moving to a new country for work can be a big challenge, especially when it comes to filling out all of the paper work. There are different regulations for certain groups depending on the nationality, the kind of work one would undertake and the kind of residence permit (for nationals of third countries) one would apply for. Here is what you need to know about work visas.

Red-White-Red Card: Prerequisite for permanent immigration
If you’re planning to have a permanent settlement in Austria, the Red-White-Red Card might be the one for you. It is a combination of residence and employment permit. The Red-White-Red Card is valid for 12 months and entitles the holder to settlement in Austria and to work for a specific employer.

General Requirements:

There are certain general requirements that you need to fulfil if you would like to receive a Red-White-Red Card:

  • Health Insurance Coverage

Already at the time of application, you have to provide evidence of health insurance coverage that provides benefits in Austria and covers all risks. Alternative to an insurance policy, the authorities also accept a travel health insurance, but only if it includes a guarantee covering potential rescue and return costs. Visit the Federal Government’s website to get further information.

  • Accommodation according to local standards

This legal title may be, for example, a rental contract for an apartment, a sublease, a (legally binding) preliminary contract, or even property. Visit the Federal Government’s website to get further information.

Further information and application forms can be found at the Federal Government’s website.

Red-White-Red Card plus

The Red-White-Red Card plus entitles migrants to settle down in Austria and get unlimited access to the Austrian labor market.All those who have been occupied for 10 months with the Red-White-Red Card within 12 months are able to apply for a Red-White-Red Card plus. Skilled workers and key workers with a Red-White-Red Card can take their family members with them to Austria. They receive a Red-White-Red Card plus immediately and get unlimited access to the Austrian labor market as well.

„Daueraufenthalt EU“(permanent residence EU)

Those who have been in Austria for 5 years can apply for the residence title “Daueraufenthalt EU”. The title authorizes tounlimited settlement with unlimited access to the labour-market. Advanced German skills (B1-Niveau) are required for it.

EU Blue Card

Third-country nationals may also be interested in the EU Blue Card if they have completed a course of study at a university or other tertiary educational institution with a minimum duration of three years. It is a combination of residence permit andemployment permit. Temporary settlement and the employment with a certain employer are intended. The EU Blue Card is issued for a period of two years. Holders may apply for a Red-White-Red Card plus if they have been employed for at least 21 months during the previous 24 months.

Jobseekers’ Visa for very highly qualified worker

For foreign workers, the approval of vocational qualifications can play an important part when it comes to entering the Austrian labour-market. To support the credit- and evaluation process, drop-in centres were established in Vienna, Linz, Graz and Innsbruck. Additionally, there are weekly consultation meetings in Feldkirch, St. Pölten, Wr. Neustadt, Klagenfurt and Salzburg.The drop-in centres offer free counselling in different languages.

Authorization of qualifications

This category is usually relevant for scientists and senior top-level managers. Workers need to achieve at least 70 out of 100 points to be considered very highly qualified according to the points system. This visa is valid for 6 months. You need to provide a proof of your qualifications and meet the general requirements. The application has to be filed at the representative authority of your home country.

Seeking employment in Austria can be quite difficult and stressful, however that does not call for discouragement. With the necessary information about labor laws and employee rights, the majority of obstacles can be eliminated.

Bildergebnis für workplace

Different procedures apply to different nations. The first step is to determine which category you belong to.EU/EEA Country and Swiss citizenshipDue to Austria being a member of the European Union, employment seekers of this category are given many benefits and advantages in the labor market. Persons obtaining one of the mentioned citizenships, as well as their family members, are entitled to live and work in Austriawithout work permits. 
If an individual of this nationality category wishes to stay in Austria for more than 3 months, they have an obligation to register their stay at the responsible residency authority (Meldebehörde). Not only the first but also every following change of residency within Austria needs to be reported. Failing to fulfill this legal obligation may result in a fine of up to 726. 
Once registered in Austria, every EU/EEA citizen is supported by the AMS ( Labor Market Service). Further information can be found on the webpage of the government agency, click here!

  The first requirement is a valid certificate of residence, either a settlement permit (Niederlassungsbewillingung) or a temporary residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis).  Work permits are generally granted only to persons who are qualified for positions for which no Austrian or EU/EEA nationals are available at the given moment. o   Restricted work permit (Beschäftigungsbewilligung) for one yearo   Unrestricted work permit (Befreiungsschein) for five years 

Red-White-Red Card

This card offers highly qualified third country workers and their families to permanently immigrate and work in Austria. As expected, the criteria are quite stringent. For more information go to Work Visa!

Job Seeking Visa

This is a 6 month permit which allows residency in Austria with the aim of attaining a stable job. It is important to point out that this is not a working permit and once a job opportunity is found, the future employee must go through the standard permit application process. 
For more information go to Work Visa!

After one year of having the restricted work permit it is possible to apply for the real work permit, which allows the employee to switch employers without having to reapply for a new permit after each transition. Five years of employment in Austria are a requirement when applying for the unrestricted work permit.

o   Work permit (Arbeitserlaubnis) for two years

There are three types of work permits:

Family members are not entitled to a work permit based solely on the derivative status of the employee and must therefore independently apply.

Attaining employment when in this category can be quite difficult but certainly not impossible.

Third Country Nationals

Despite their EU membership, Croatian nationals are required to have a valid work permit in order to pursue employment (due to the transitional arrangements which will run until 2020). However, after one year of employment with the work permit, Croatian citizens get free access to the labor market.