How do I get a residence permit in Austria?

Residence permits in Austria

Do I need a residence permit?

You need a residence permit (rather than an entry permit/visa) if you intend to live in Austria for more than 6 months.

How do I get one?

You need to make an appointment with the Austrian embassy in your home country. This must be done before you leave. You will not be allowed to live in Austria until this has been approved (there are a few exceptions to this, see below). Although there is a 90-day waiver period in which anyone can travel in the Schengen territory without a visa, there is no guarantee your application will be approved in this time, so make sure to apply well in advance!

Once issued, the permit can be picked up at the issuing authority in Austria and the fee will be payable at the time of pick-up in Austria.

In addition, non-EU citizens planning to stay for longer than 24 months must also sign an Integration Agreement.

What kind of permit do I need?

There are several different types of residency permit:

  • Aufenthaltsbewilligung 
    temporary stay in Austria for a certain purpose
  • Niederlassungsbewilligung 
    for foreigners who intend to live in Austria for a longer period
  • Aufenthaltstitel 
    issued to underage children and spouses of EU citizens who permanently reside in Austria
  • Aufenthaltstitel “Daueraufenthalt – EG
    issued to foreign nationals who have had the right to stay in Austria for at least five years
  • Aufenthaltstitel “Daueraufenthalt – Familienangehöriger”
    issued to individuals who have held an Aufenthaltstitel “Familienangehöriger“ (relative) for at least the last five years
  • Anmeldebescheinigung
    EU citizens who both work and therefore take up residence in Austria; also issued to accompanying EU spouses and minor children
  • Daueraufenthaltskarte
    for non-EU spouses and minor children of EU citizens

How do I apply?

All applications must be completed and submitted in person, allowing one month processing time. If the applicant is a minor, both legal guardians must sign the application.

Please see below to find our English version of the residence permit form (this is just for reference, do not fill it out)

Documents to be submitted:

  • Valid passport
  • Completed application form
  • A recent photograph in passport format
  • Birth certificate
  • Criminal record
  • Proof of health/travel/accident insurance
  • Proof of sufficient financial means
  • Proof of lodging in Austria
  • Work permit from Austria (or if self-employed, the last income tax statement)
  • Third country nationals must prove basic German language proficiency  (with some exceptions)

Are there exceptions where I could submit my application in Austria?

Yes, those exceptions are:

  • Family members of Austrian nationals staying in Austria legally after legal entry
  • Foreign nationals who were previously legal residents of Austria, but did not require a permit, within six months of legal entry
  • Foreign nationals who were previously Austrian nationals, within six months of losing that nationality
  • Children under six months old whose mother is a legal resident of Austria
  • People who may enter Austria during the permitted visa-free stay
  • Foreign nationals applying for a limited leave to remain as researchers and their families
  • Very highly-qualified third country nationals applying for a Red-White-Red card
  • Third country nationals applying for a Red-White-Red card on grounds of graduating from an Austrian university


To find out about work permits, please click here.

Or if you will be studying, find out about student visas here.