University & Private Courses
Private language courses in Vienna are probably one of the best options if you have difficulties with learning languages. Why? With language courses you will definitely get better service and more attention and help from your German teacher, because classes are usually smaller (in comparison to German university courses in which classes can be up to 25 people).
What do you need to know about private German courses?
- Usually there are 3 hour classes every day (Monday-Friday)
- You can choose the time (morning/day or evening hours)
- You will learn German in small groups (6-15 people) and receive better service.
However, if you have decided to opt for university courses, don’t worry! There are plenty of German courses that most Viennese universities provide. Here are some of these courses!
University of Vienna
For more than ninety years, the University of Vienna has been offering an extremely wide range of high-quality German courses, structured in eleven course phases (encompassing all levels from A1/1 through C2).
The German Courses of the University of Vienna are a certified test center for the Austrian Language Diploma ÖSD and for the German Language Certificate.
How to Register:
- You have to be at minimum age of 16 years. If you have a previous knowledge of German, you are required to enroll at the office and to take a placement test.
- The test is offered during the enrollment period, at the latest one hour before the end of opening times (no appointment necessary).
- Participants who have already attended German courses at the University of Vienna do not have to take the test again.
- You will need a photo identification (passport, driving license, student ID…) when you enroll at the office and when taking the placement test.
- Pay the Course fee, which for a semester course is around € 820,-.
- Online registration is available for absolute beginners only.
Campus der Universität Wien
Hof 1, Zugang 1.16
Alser Straße 4, 1090 Vienna
The VWU offers intensive courses for foreign applicants for a place at university to prepare them for supplementary examinations prescribed by the universities. Classes are run every day for 4 and ½ hours per day.
VWU university course is run by the OeAD-GmbH (Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research) – together with the following six universities of Vienna:
- University of Vienna (UNI Wien)
- Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration (WU)
- Vienna University of Technology (TU)
- Medical University Vienna (MedUni)
- University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU)
- University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna (VETMED).
How to Register:
- Enroll at your university (Admission Office – Studienabteilung) at the beginning of your studies. Each semester you have to enroll again at your university for the current semester.
- First-time applicants will get a payment form for the course fee from the Admission Office. Students enrolling for the continuation of their studies will receive the payment form in their courses.
- Pay the course fee (this is only possible with the original payment form!). The course fee for VWU courses is about € 454, -.
- Then register for a course at the office of the VWU during the registration period.
There is only a limited number of places for students at the VWU, so the earlier you go, the better your chances are to get in.
Ebendorferstraße 7, 1010 Vienna
Tel. +43 1 53408-0
Fax: +43 1 53408-999
Österreichische Orient Gesellschaft
The Orient Academy, offers intensive semester language courses for students only. Classes are run 5 days a week for 3 ½ hours per day.
How to Register?
- First you need to go to the Academy’s website (http://www.orient-gesellschaft.at/) and book an appointment (Online Termin) for a Placement Test.
- Then you go to the office on the appointed day, pay and sign up for a test
- Once you’ve done the test you are ready to register for a course
- To register for the course itself, once again you need an online appointment (from the website).
- Then you go to the office and you bring with you Payment Confirmation with a stamp from the University; Decision letter from your University that you’ve been accepted; Student ID card; Placement Test Results
1010 Wien, Dominikanerbastei 6/6
Tel. +43 + 1 / 512 89 36
Fax: +43 + 1 / 512 89 36 – 17
Opening Hours: Mo, Tue, Thu, Fr, 9:00 – 12:30 a.m., Wed, 2:30 – 5:00 p.m.